[Mesorah] shuruq pronounced like chiriq

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jan 9 06:33:08 PST 2013

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 6:50 AM, Mandel, Seth <mandels at ou.org> wrote:

> Linguistically, it is exceedingly probably that the "u" sound first became
> "ü," and the change from "ü" to "i" was a subsequent step.

Was there a similar trip in Litta from ö / oe to* *ā (long A)?

I am basically trying to revive the thread titled "Oh, Ow, Oy" at
http://lists.aishdas.org/pipermail/mesorah-aishdas.org/2011-June/thread.html#803,
which RSM did not contribute to. (Probably was busy visiting a
*shlacht-hois *in New Zealand or some such.)

(IIRC, RMS does not believe that there was a shift from o to ö / oe in the
past several centuries, but rather that the Litvisher *cheilam* represented
an equally old *mesorah *as the *cholam*. *Veharaayah*, it was used in some
parts of Teiman.)

The latter shift is well attested in Yiddish, where the Germanic "ü"
> switched to "i."  The entire shift (both stages) also occurred in English,
> where the plural of "book" used to be "beech, and Germanic "grun" (German
> "grün") became "green."
>
> Seth Mandel

*Shetir'u Batov*!

Micha Berger             You cannot propel yourself forward
micha at aishdas.org        by patting yourself on the back.
http://www.aishdas.org                   -Anonymous
Fax: (270) 514-1507