[Mesorah] shuruq pronounced like chiriq

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Wed Jan 9 03:50:22 PST 2013

I know of no one who pronounces it "bawrikh."  Those (Polak, Galitzianer, Unterland Hungarians) who pronounce the last syllable as "ee/i" pronounce the first syllable as "oo," yielding "boorikh."
Aside from Tolkien's prodessed admiration for the Jews, the reference to the "ü" sound is important.  Oberland Hungarians pronounce the shuruq as "ü," and so the word is "burükh."
Linguistically, it is exceedingly probably that the "u" sound first became "ü," and the change from "ü" to "i" was a subsequent step.  The latter shift is well attested in Yiddish, where the Germanic "ü" switched to "i."  The entire shift (both stages) also occurred in English, where the plural of "book" used to be "beech, and Germanic "grun" (German "grün") became "green."

Seth Mandel