[Mesorah] Davening: Pesach vs. Hag Hammatzos

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Mar 16 09:28:51 PDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 04:22:09PM +0000, R. Rich Wolpoe wrote:
: Afaict both versions exist
:
: The question I have is -  what motivated jettisoning moshab y'karo?  Was it textual?  or was the g'matriya of Y'karo the underlying issue?

I assume you mean "What motived the Gra to choose a nusach other than
the Eastern European norm of 'moshav yaqaro'?"

RYBS cited his grandfather and from there a family tradition that it
was because "moshav yaqaro" is an anthropomorphication that is not found
in Tanakh.

There is a whole related shitas haRambam. You might notice how the Rambam
consistently calls them "AKHG umeihem kamah nev'im" (or the like) when
speaking of the origins of tefillah. Describing HQBH without nevu'ah is
problematic, even without anthropomorphications; recall how R' Chanina
yelled at a talmid who tried embellishing the list of adjectives in
Birkhas Avos. (Or at least, the Gra held it was in Birkhas Avos.)

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             Between stimulus & response, there is a space.
micha at aishdas.org        In that space is our power to choose our
http://www.aishdas.org   response. In our response lies our growth
Fax: (270) 514-1507      and our freedom. - Victor Frankl, (MSfM)