[Mesorah] Davening: Pesach vs. Hag Hammatzos

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Thu Mar 15 14:42:22 PDT 2012

Another idea to consider: Languages DO change and develop. Chazal were surely aware of that, as we find such development even within Tanach itself.

This leads me to suspect that other forces were at work, such as preferring a more formal language for some situations, and a more colloquial language for other situations. For example, I can easily see differentiating between a proper noun (like the name of a holiday) and an ordinary verb (leishev basukkah vs whatever).

Another factor: I wonder how many tefilos had the exact wording fixed at a time when Lashon Hakodesh was the vernacular, and how many afterward. When it's not the vernacular anyway, why would the language of one era be preferred over another?

Akiva Miller