[Mesorah] Davening: Pesach vs. Hag Hammatzos

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Mar 15 09:45:16 PDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 04:28:54PM +0000, R. Rich Wolpoe wrote:
: In Tanach Hag Hammatzos
: Starts the 15th of Nissan [Hodesh Harishon]
: Pesach starts the 14th of Nissan

: In Talmud Pesach often appears to replace Hag Hammatzos.

The reason we teach 1st graders is that "Chag Hamatzos" refers to our
obeying HQBH and eating matzos. Therefore, He calls the holiday by what
we do "for Him". We, however, call the holiday by what He did for us --
"pasach al batei BY".

I don't know the maqor, I just recall having to learn it for school,
and seeing it on my kids' worksheets. Probably every child was taught
that one.

Our use of "Chag haMatzos", what we did for Hashem, would therefore say
something about tefillah, but I'm not sure what.

Micha Berger             A pious Jew is not one who worries about his fellow
micha at aishdas.org        man's soul and his own stomach; a pious Jew worries
http://www.aishdas.org   about his own soul and his fellow man's stomach.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                       - Rav Yisrael Salanter