[Mesorah] FW: Psalm 145, Zecher vs. Zeicher

R. Rich Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 09:18:50 PST 2012

«I believe the main problem is that there is little interest in mesorah
and minhagim today.»

It's not just the people

Unfortunately, Many Rabbis have no defined Minhag and sometimes wish to keep the power to decide each issue on their own...

B"H when I inherited a Yekke shul from its founding rabbi, I had set, firm minhaggim

Did I change any?  Yes I did!
With caution, consensus, and to address some real issues

EG the Minhag was to do Tikkun Layl Shavuos from about 10PM to 11:30 pm. Problem? The neighborhood was unsafe. I then suggested learning at 7:15 am b'hashkama instead, based upon the Magein Avraham's explanation that the tikkun was due to oversleeping. Everyone was happy

But Tikkun Layl Hoshana Rabbah remained at night because after all the people could drive or take a taxi.

Change of Minhag ought to be done judiciously and imho not arbitrarily.

Shalom and Regards, RRW