[Mesorah] FW: Psalm 145, Zecher vs. Zeicher

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Thu Feb 23 07:06:01 PST 2012

1) The minhag is to repeat the entire posuq, not just the word.
2) Absolutely.  However, some people understand Tosfos, quoted by the SA, as saying that the actual reading on Shabbos Zakhor is d'orayso, and so make a big deal of it.  The truth is that Tosfos also mentions parshas Poro as being d'orayso, but the acharonim ignore that because they can't figure out the source.  As I have pointed out in shi'ur, Tosfos probably considers all 4 parshiyos to be d'orayso, like many of the G'onim, but with a different meaning than people think nowadays.  And the Rambam definitely thinks all 4 are d'rabbonan.
AFAIK, the modern day custom of stopping everything and having the rov make an announcement about everyone should have in mind to be yotze the reading of the parsha is a modern-day practice.  I know it was not done by RYBS, nor in Chevron, nor in other O. synagogues in my youth.
I do not remember how wide-spread the practice of repeating the posuq on Shabbos Zokhor was in my youth.

Rabbi Seth Mandel