[Mesorah] Psalm 145, Zecher vs. Zeicher

R. Rich Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 17:29:01 PST 2012

RSM:
«In the T'Nakh it generally tries to follow the masoretic text, whereas in the siddur it does not want to "rock the boat" and change what other siddurim have Regarding this word: all masoretic texts have zeikher for all occurrences of the word.
However, all Ashk'naz mss. that I have seen have zekher everywhere, in the siddur and the T'NaKh.»

Rhetorical Questions

1 So do these Ashkenazi mss. represent a different Masoretic Tradition than that of Ben Asher?  Or are they demonstrating a series of errors?  It seems R Mordechai Breuer on Zeicher Zecher favors the latter explanation, and I purposefully avoided the case of P. Zachor because it being a safeik d'oraisso.

2. So would Heidneheim, Baer, etc. be "Wrong" for reconciling the texts to be more consistent?  Heidenheim redacted Tanach and Siddur. Baer just T'hillim and siddur. So is it wrong to make Psalm 145 match?

«That is probably the source for the (now) famous minhag of the Gra to read zekher.

Rabbi Seth Mandel»

Comments -

The Issue with the Maaseh Harav re: Zecher  is for me the same as before with shivchacha; namely that RCV put in a disclaimer. Though iirc RCV did allow for the GRA to have changed his mind, yet I always chalked that up to being "polite"

Shalom and Regards, RRW