[Mesorah] FW: Looking for Common Denominators

R. Rich Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 10:25:16 PST 2012

From the linguistic point of view, a change is a change, whether or not it was done for what we might consider good intentions, e.g. "to increase the correctness of the siddur," or for bad intentions, e.g. "to demonstrate that the author knows more than the rabbis."

Rabbi Seth Mandel»

Except perhaps for Reform, I don't consider any of these changes to have bad motives.

Also I'm not so convinced that nusach Mss. are any  less subject to scribal error than EG Talmud or Rambam.

It seems pashut to me that Hanau et. al saw Biblical forms in some places and sought to make the nusach consistent in style.

EG Kelles
Tanach - Derision [EG laag vokelles]
Rabbinic - Beauty [based on the greek cognate]

L'aleih ulkaleis is in Shabbos and YT davening before Yishtabach, but it was aiui yanked from some versionsKaddish.

And the old "laag vokelles" is in the Mon/Thu Tachanun.

Shalom and Regards, RRW