[Mesorah] Looking for Common Denominators

R. Rich Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 06:47:18 PST 2012

BTW, I have not yet seen R' Hoffmeister's Tefilat Yeshurun.
In fact I didn't know it existed until you mentioned it.

bivrakha,

David»

Thank you for the tip re: eizor Eliyahu

The point of Hoffmeister is that his avodah was to rol back all corrections

If he did his job well, then the corrected forms he left in [ostensibly] always belonged there

Furthermore if both eidot mizrach and ashkenaz have "oved", then it stands to reason that this was not a correction made by hanau, etc. Unless he influenced eidot mizrach as well, which is a stretch

The point of Baer is that he did a critical edition and gives sources.  He also debates several of Heidehnheim's [RWH]  changes

You can also intuit from Baer which emendations of the GRA he rejected - .  EG He mentions hisgadilti v'hiskadishti but leaves the patachs in yisgadal anyway.

Many others did too
And  ushvachacha is explicitly rejected.

So I see my method as quite fruitful!
Shalom and Regards, RRW