[Mesorah] She'ata / Sha'ata

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Mon Feb 20 08:05:35 PST 2012

My fault for not making myself clear.
The point I was intending to make was that if the Godol has never studied the issues (such as training for mila or safrus), he cannot pasken on the matter.
Most rabbonim and Jews have never studied historical Hebrew linguistics.  Indeed, there is no textbook, and the mss. and old siddurim are hard to get; the mss. of the Mishna are hard to get; and even studying the development of different girsa'ot in the T'NaKh, although available, are in books not in most yeshiva libraries.  I never saw Luach Eres of R. Yaakov Emden in any yeshiva, although I am sure some of them have it somewhere.
Since I am interested in these matters, I have discussed them with many Rabbonim, including some of those in the pantheon of G'dolim as determined by the Agudah.  Most of them evinced interest, but none had any background in the matter.  When I discussed morid hageshem with RYBS, he knew a lot about who used which girsa, but knew nothing about the fact that goshem was an emendation by a printed T'NaKh, and that all the mss. had geshem.
A rov who has not studied an issue can only say "eini yodea'."  But many over the course of generations did not even know that they did not know.

Rabbi Seth Mandel
Rabbinic Coordinator
The Orthodox Union
11 Broadway, New York, NY  10004