[Mesorah] FW: Psalm 145, Zecher vs. Zeicher

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Thu Feb 23 05:12:21 PST 2012

Oh, R. David, this was really an overt invitation for my ha’penny’s worth.
You do not need to await; for oldun’s like you and I, it is not derekh eretz to make us wait.  The custom of the descendents of R. Chaim Volozhner is to repeat all p’sukim with zekher, whether in Ashrei, or in the Torah, or in the novi.  I grew up hearing RYBS doing that.  He did not say that others should do it; he just said it was the minhag of Beis haRav.
But I share the impatience of many who see the modern-day yeshiva fellows or others adopting all sorts of customs in the name of the Gra without understanding any of them.  The limmud z’chus is that they are not actually adopting minhogim of the Gra, but just doing what others do the way they understand the Mishna Berura.  I laugh inwardly when I hear these people proclaiming loudly “yisgaddel v’yisqaddesh,” but saying “khir‘useh.”  As is known, the Gra insisted that it should be kir‘useh, because it is really after a slight pause, and the absence of such pause changes the meaning.  Yisgaddel is not a change in meaning.
As our esteemed list member R. EM Teitz once said (excuse the quotation marks, because this is just my memory), “When I see the parsha changed to Va’eschannen, then I will consider saying yisgaddel.

Rabbi Seth Mandel