[Mesorah] pasuk that is not a pasuk

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Wed May 25 03:29:23 PDT 2011

Re: "Hashem Melech, Hashem Malach, Hashem Yimloch L'Olam Vaed" -

Rather than referring to it as a "pasuk that is not a pasuk", I have long referred to it as a "post-Tanach pasuk". I don't know who was the first to combine these two phrases of Tehillim and add them to a complete pasuk from Shemos, but once it was done, it seems to have been accepted as a useful and versatile refrain.

As the ArtScroll Siddur comments on Y'hee Ch'vod in Shacharis: "This is one of the most familiar verses in the entire liturgy, but, surprisingly enough, it is not found in Scripture..."

It also appears in Atah Haraysa on Simchas Torah.

And it is in weekday Maariv in Yiru Aynaynu (although that's not a collection of pesukim the way the prior paragraph is).

I'm pretty sure we have it in other places too, but I can't find them right now.

Akiva Miller