[Mesorah] pasuk that is n ot a pasuk

D&E-H Bannett dbnet at zahav.net.il
Wed May 25 01:00:14 PDT 2011

In my shul (nusach hachasidim, a.k.a. nusach sfard), it
happened last Shabbat that the chazan for p'sukei d'zimra
was a Sefaradi who, as is their custom, read the entire text
aloud, word for word. Each word was carefully pronounced, so
different from the Ashkenazic race to see who can finish
first or before the chazan says the last line aloud. But, it
is difficult to modify one's  semi-automatic Ashkenazic
habits so I found myself with free time to ponder between
the paragraphs .

It is also the Sefaradic custom to sing certain lines.
After mizmor chanukat habayyit, he sang Hashem melekh,
Hashem malakh, Hashem yimlokh l'olam va'ed.  The nusach
Ashkenaz list members, who do not say these lines here will
have to wait until they appear in y'hi kh'vod where,
incidentally, the Sefaradim do not sing them.

My mind wandered and wondered, why this line appears in y'hi
kh'vod.  Y'hi kh'vod is a group of p'sukim, mostly from
T'hilim.  In fact, these sentences are the only p'sukei
d'zimra in the pirkei d'zimra that we call p'sukei d'zimra.
But the "pasuk" H' Melekh H' makakh etc., does not exist!

So, can someone tell me how or why it appears in the
collection of pesukim called y'hi kh'vod? And, why do we
call the entire pre-yishtabach group of paragraphs by such
an inappropriate name.

Of course, I cannot really blame my Sefaradi neighbor for my
odd thoughts. The truth is that I have often noted this
peculiarity but never tried to investigate further.

Can someone save me from continuing to feel bad that I have
not investigated and probably never will?

k"t,

David