[Mesorah] Haftorah

David Cohen ddcohen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 02:57:49 PDT 2011

Last time:  5768  (3 years ago)
Next time:  5774  (3 years from now)

This is true everywhere, but on the whole, it is read more often in Eretz
Yisrael than in chu"l.

In chu"l, it is only read in shanim me'ubarot that start on Thursdays.  We
are now in a series of 4 consecutive shanim me'ubarot that all start on
Thursdays -- {5765, 5768, 5771, 5774} -- so currently "seems" relatively
common.  I remember that in 5765 (when I was living in chu"l), people were
pointing out that the haftarah would be read for the first time in 21 years,
since 5744.

In Eretz Yisrael, we also read it in shanim me'ubarot where the 8th day of
Pesach falls on Shabbos, and EY then gets a week ahead.  In such a case,
chu"l does not have any double parashiyot scheduled until Matos-Mas'ei, so
EY does not have a chance to "fall back" by splitting up 2 parashiyot that
are joined in chu"l until then, meaning that EY gets Pinechas in before 17
Tammuz.  (Okay, actually *on* 17 Tammuz, which is the day before the fast in
such a case.)  Thus, in EY in 5765, they only got to talk about how they
hadn't read the haftarah in 10 years, since 5755.

-- D.C.