[Mesorah] Heh Hayedia

HayyimObadyah at aol.com HayyimObadyah at aol.com
Sun Dec 18 07:37:23 PST 2011

this is an important point.  a number of scholars have suggested that when
the mem or yodh lack a daghesh in this situation, their shewa is nonetheless
always na`, even though we might think otherwise.

Yeivin (382), however, notes "Where the he has ga`ya, if it is musical
ga`ya, the following shewa is silent, but if it is phonetic ga`ya, the
following shewa is vocal.  The Diqduqe ha-Te`amim (Dotan, 1967, section 14)
states that, as a rule, ga`ya in this situation is phonetic, so the shewa is
vocal.  Various examples are given, ... This is followed by a list of words
in which the shewa is silent."
In other words, the shewa is usually but not always na` even if there is no
daghesh.

Hayyim