[Mesorah] Heh Hayedia

Poppers, Michael MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Sat Dec 17 19:25:35 PST 2011

> Rabbi Reisman said in tonight's Navi shiur that a heh hayedia is always followed by a dagesh. <
Yes (well, actually, I think he said that the sh'va following a HH was always na', which is not necessarily the same thing); he also said that a proper noun doesn't take a HH, yet I'm sure we're all aware of "[v']haAy" (Gen 12:8).  I think he was providing k'lalim for all listeners not really "into" diqduq -- this shiur was not the time to list exceptions to those k'lalim, even if he was aware of them (although I do wish he had said something like "almost always" instead of something like "always").

> Besides those letters that cannot take a dagesh, I can think of at least one exception;  do our learned colleagues have any comment on this rule? <
As RSM noted to RGD, there are exceptions.  Re the k'lal as I recalled him saying it (and this exception also applies to it as RGD heard him saying it), there is the general (if debated) exception around "halvi'im" as well as (noted by RRW) the general exception around a HH before a yud (e.g. "hayladim" [Ex 1:17]).

Gut Voch/Shavua Tov and all the best from
-- Michael Poppers via BB pager