[Mesorah] mees Hashem hay(')sa zos

Michael Hamm msh210 at gmail.com
Sun May 30 18:29:54 PDT 2010

Har'EMT wrote, in part:
<<there is a machlokes as to whether it applies if the syllable is
normally unstressed, and its following sh'va is na, but becomes
stressed because of nasog achor>>

and R'DL wrote similarly.  I thank you both.  I considered a
possibility that nasog-achor stress does cause the sh'va to be na, but
rejected it because of "v'zavachta pesach" and similar phrases, so did
not even bother mentioning it in my original e-mail.  I didn't think
that perhaps -- as is the case -- nasog-achor stress keeps it na where
there would otherwise be a meseg (but does not cause it to be na where
it would otherwise be nach), so thank you, again, for enlightening me.

In any event, if anyone has more details about the meseg becoming a
mer'cha, I'd love to hear it.

Michael Hamm
Postdoctoral Research Scholar
Department of Psychiatry