[Mesorah] mees Hashem hay(')sa zos

Elazar M. Teitz remt at juno.com
Sun May 30 06:54:43 PDT 2010

     The rule is, in general, correct. However, there is a machlokes as to whether it applies if the syllable is normally unstressed, and its following sh'va is na, but becomes stressed because of nasog achor, as in the case of haysa zos.  The Simanim tikkun has it as retaining the na status (and similarly in cases such as cochvei or, ovdei fesel, etc.), and ArtScroll follows this opinion; others dissent, and consider the sh'va to change its status to nach, in keeping with the general rule.
     Note that where the word involves a chataf, rather than a sh'va na, in its general case, the chataf remains even if the preceding syllable is accented as a result of nasog achor, even though the chataf is tantamount to a sh'va na; witness "po'alei aven," in T'hillim 92:8.
EMT