[Mesorah] [Techshoret] change back-up location?

Ira L. Jacobson laser at ieee.org
Mon Nov 16 01:09:59 PST 2009

At 09:25 15-11-2009 +0200, Moshe Devere stated the following:
>Shalom,
>         Windows creates a "My Documents" folder under the user
> name, under the "Documents and Settings" folder.

This is the Windows default.  But you can change this and have Word
(or any other program) save to whichever directory you choose, using
whatever filename you choose, on whatever accessible disk you choose.

>This is a system file.

I do not think that My Documents is a system file.  I understand
"system file" to refer to an executable file that is part of the
operating system or other control program.

>To avoid this scenario, I regularly partition the client's HDD (hard drive).
>After the Windows installation is complete, I cut and past the document
>folder to the second partition.

Do you think that this will make Word, for example, save to that
other partition, without your telling Word to do so?

>The big advantage is that you do not need to drill down 3 levels to
>find the docs.

Again, you can set that by changing the defaults.

>BTW: File backup is not the best long-term solution. Imaging is the
>preferred method.

You can back up to a disk-on-key.  You can back up to your
brother-in-law's computer in Hong Kong.  Or even to a commercial source.

IRA L. JACOBSON
mailto:laser at ieee.org