[Mesorah] shaleach vs. sh'loach

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jul 6 08:02:34 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 09:57:23AM -0500, Michael Hamm wrote:
: Some time ago, I mentioned that I'd seen a perush that said that
: shaleach in piel means to allow someone to leave whereas sh'loach in
: kal (paal) means to send someone, and was met with skepticism (since,
: admittedly, that's the opposite of the expected difference between the
: binyanim).  I've found the citation: RSRH on Chukas, on the pasuk
: "vay'shalach... han'chashim has'rafim".

Which means that RSRH considers the /sh-l-ch/ root to mean something
other than our intuitive sense of "to send", with possible ramifications
for understanding the halachic concept of shelichus.

Micha Berger             "I hear, then I forget; I see, then I remember;
micha at aishdas.org        I do, then I understand." - Confucius
http://www.aishdas.org   "Hearing doesn't compare to seeing." - Mechilta
Fax: (270) 514-1507      "We will do and we will listen." - Israelites