[Mesorah] 'Umeharereho tachtzov nechoshes'

Ira L. Jacobson laser at ieee.org
Mon Aug 17 22:44:07 PDT 2009

Many years ago, when I used to daven in a hassideshe shtiebel in
Mount Airy (Philadelphia), the (shtikel) Rebbe -- who was the baal
korei -- also read it with a special trope.

He was from Romania.  I never learned the reason for the special tune.

The shul no longer exists, but I understand that his son has a shul
in the Northeast (Philadelphia).

At 09:51 18-08-2009 +1000, "SBA" <Areivim at sba2.com> stated:
>Following the nusach the late original and long-time baal-koreh of our shul
>(an Oberlender via Pressburg), when it comes to (Eikev 8:9) 'Umeharereho
>tachtzov nechoshes' - it is leined in a special drawn out trop/niggun.
>
>Just wondering if has anyone knows any reason for this or know of another
>Shul where it is done so?

IRA L. JACOBSON
mailto:laser at ieee.org