[Mesorah] Fw: karva shenas hasheva

D&E-H Bannett dbnet at zahav.net.il
Sun Aug 30 06:55:42 PDT 2009

Two weeks ago, I posted "a fews add-ons" on the korva/kar'va
thread.

As second person, past tense has a meteg in the first
syllable in most chumashim, I tried to confuse and arouse a
response by pointing out that
<< the Cohen-Keter CD does not have a meteg in the shin of
kar'va sh'nat hasheva.  Everyone else does.>>

I failed. Nobody on the list thought it surprising that the
Keter-CD is different from all "normal" chumashim. But,
perhaps I did make a bit of confusion. So, in Elul I am
doing teshuva and now have to point out the facts. This is
not an isolated case or a typo. It is the shita of the
CD-Keter and is also completing the work of R' Menahem de
Lonzano, the Ohr Torah, in removing the numerous,
"incorrect" "meteg lachamor" that some Ashkenazim had added
to the Tanakh.

As an example, take the word hay'ta (she was) which appears
quite often.  It appears 74 times without a meteg and only
three times with a meteg (Breishit 29:17,  Shmuel B' 29:17,
and Divrei Hayamim B'  13:2.

kvh"t,

David