[Mesorah] morid ha-geshem

David Cohen ddcohen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 06:02:38 PDT 2008

SBA <areivim at sba2.com> wrote:

> Why does one have a pause and the other not?

The explanation I remember hearing years ago (I can't remember where) is
that because techiyas hameisim will be done with dew, "morid ha-tol" is
completing the thought before it ("mechayeih meisim attah rav lehoshia"),
whereas "morid ha-geshem" is connected only to the list of gevuros that
follows it.

I'm not saying that I would necessarily be quick to accept that this
explanation should dictate how we vowelize the words; I'm just "saying over"
what I heard.

--D.C.