[Mesorah] Kosht

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Oct 16 14:31:45 PDT 2008

kennethgmiller at juno.com wrote:
> Over Yom Tov, I saw a puzzling word in one of the piyutim.

It's in "Yom miyamim huchas", in the second bracha of Musaf on YK.
"Ram kosht ma'abadecha"; my machzor translates it as "Exalted One,
Your deeds are truth".

> ArtScroll spelled it as:
> kuf - cholam
> shin - sh'va
> tes - sh'va

> My first guess at its pronunciation was "kosht", but then I thought that
> one sheva or the other was probably a sh'va na, and maybe even both.
> Can someone give me a clue? Just wondering. Thanks!

Both sheva'im are nach, and it is pronounced "kosht".  It's found in
Mishlei 22:21.  It's a variation on "keshot" (as in "deHu Elaka keshot,
ve'oraiteih keshot..."), or "kushta" (as in "vezanin umefarnesin
linsheihon bekushta").

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.