[Mesorah] Kosht

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Thu Oct 16 16:06:37 PDT 2008

R' Zev Sero wrote:
> It's in "Yom miyamim huchas", in the second bracha
> of Musaf on YK. "Ram kosht ma'abadecha"; my machzor
> translates it as "Exalted One, Your deeds are truth".

Yep, right near the beginning, in the paragraph "Yom Miyamim". But I had seen it on Sukkos, and a few minutes ago I found it in Chazaras Hashatz for Shacharis of the first day of Sukkos, as the very first word of the third bracha (i.e., immediately after "BA"H Mechayeh Hamesim"). I guess its a more common word than I thought.

> Both sheva'im are nach, and it is pronounced "kosht".

Thanks. But I just thought of another question: Why does the tes have a sh'va?

My understanding is that almost every word ends with an implicit shva nach which we don't bother to write. Occasional words end a little differently, but the only time we both to show the final shva nach is if the last letter was a khaf. Why are we putting a shva nach on a final tes in this case?

Akiva Miller