[Mesorah] nasog achor

Michael Hamm msh210 at math.wustl.edu
Thu Oct 16 09:19:36 PDT 2008

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Noah Witty wrote, in part:
> I stated that some words that should be mi-le-ra move back to being
> me-le-ayl because the *next* word is me-le-ayl and you can't have two
> consecutive stresses, I saw that in Parshas Ha-azinu, v.3, we have
> "ha-VU GO-del," which clearly opposes my suggestion.  The trop connects
> the two words so there is no "natural" division of the phrase.

As someone else has responded, there are many exceptions to the nasog
achor rule.  I asked a short while ago about the supposed exception of the
first word being hyphenated with a meseg; this was refuted by others on
the list with examples.  This supposed exception had been found (by me) in
a common tikun kor'im (the one with 14 calendars in the back and grammar
rules in the front).  So much for it.

Another exception -- and I'm merely pointing this out, not claiming I know
why it's an exception -- is "mikrae kodesh", which appears three times in
Shor O Chesev, each time with stress on the tzere.

A gutn kvitl,

Michael Hamm
AM, Math, Wash. U. St. Louis
msh210 at math.wustl.edu                Fine print: