[Mesorah] Davar HaAveid vs. Davar HaAvud

Benjamin M. Kandel bkandel at yu.edu
Mon Oct 13 15:04:16 PDT 2008

Participles can be nismach - for example, "ha-shomeir achi anochi", "oveid
ha-adamah", "shomrei ha-saf", etc.  Aveidas is indeed a participle that is
nismach, so the kameitz (depending on how you pronounce it, it may
actually also be a stative, but ein kan mekomo) changes to a chataf.

I think your transliteration scheme was clear - a regular active
participle has a cholam after the first letter of the root, and a stative
has a kameitz.

Kol tuv

Ben