[Mesorah] nasog achor

Ira L. Jacobson laser at ieee.org
Thu Oct 16 12:52:35 PDT 2008

At 03:11 PM 16-10-08 -0400, Michael  stated:

> > I don't know dikduk but I do know that it is almost impossible to
> say "haVU GOdel" without a distinct pause between the two words and
> therefore almost everybody actually says "HAvu GOdel" regardless of
> what's written. <
>WADR, RnTK, any bal korei who's actually a ba'al q'riyah can read
>this phrase as per its m'sorah.

If the intent here is to "correct" a Yiddishism, that cannot be done
by using a made-up pseudo-Hebrew phrase that is not real Hebrew.

Check the sources.  The term ordinarily used, I believe, is "Qore(h)."

If I have misunderstood the intent, I offer my apology.

>Gut Moeid and all the best from Michael

Also a Yiddish expression.  In Hebrew it is not the day or period
that is happy, but rather the person.  Mo`adim lesimha.

IRA L. JACOBSON
mailto:laser at ieee.org