[Mesorah] Davar HaAveid vs. Davar HaAvud

Benjamin M. Kandel bkandel at yu.edu
Mon Oct 13 09:45:19 PDT 2008

Davar ha-aveid is correct.  Aveid is a stative verb, and the Torah
describes the lost object with a stative verb (although it is feminine -
Devarim 22:3, "le-khol aveidat ahikha").  The active participle would be
"oveid".
Stative verbs describe states, not actions.  Other common examples of
statives are "yashein", "ameil", "tamei", "kasher", "meit" (hollow root,
or ayin-vav), "eid", "geir", "hasheikh" (as in "safeik hasheikha safeik
aina hasheikha"), etc.  So "bateil be-shishim" means "nullified in sixty",
even though the English equivalent does use the passive participle.

Kol tuv and chag sameach

Ben Kandel