[Mesorah] 2 scjm discussions

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon May 5 10:51:16 PDT 2008

I made 2 claims in 2 different discussions on scjm that I thought were
open-and-shut but they are each being disputed so vehemently, my
confidence was shaken.

1- The gemara (Pesachim 50a) says the berakhah is "Dayan haEmes", which I
took to be a semichut, since there is a hei hayedi'ah on only one word.
If "emes" were an adjective, it would be "haDayan ha'Emes", figuring
that "amiti" is a newer construction than the berakhah. (Or perhaps the
commonly said "Dayan Emes", but that might have the heretical implacation
ch"v that Hashem is "a", not the only, true judge.)

In which case, the thing being judged is truth. Perhaps: Is this the
right time and place for revealing this truth?

2- Ba'omer vs la'omer. See my signature file, below.

I only know of one translation for "la-" -- "to the". Even though we're
counting away from, not toward the omer. So I suggested, "... toward
the counting of the omer.

"Ba-" has two translations: "in", and "via / utilizing / through the
aegis of". But short of getting in over my head in Qabbalah, I don't see
how the latter translation would work.

I am also under the impression that "baomer" implies a unity that
"laomer" does not. "Baomer" is saying that this counting is part of the
whole, thus fits the shitah that there is only one berakhah. (That the
proverbial bar mitzvah boy who turns 13 mid-omer can not really do the
mitzvah that year.) However, "laomer" implies a collection that we're
adding another count to, and thus does fit the idea that each day is a
mitzvah bifnei atzmah.

I do this lemaaseh -- after I miss a day, I use "laomer". Before, I
actually say baomer and then recount with "la-". (And then a third time
in English, since I am not sure Siggy is yotzeis in untranslated Hebrew.)

Can someone reassure me or correct my blunders before I teach sheqer to
some not-yet-O Jews? (The O Jews shouldn't consider me an authority on
anything, I'm less worried about what I tell them.)

micha at aishdas.org        2 weeks and 1 day in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Chesed sheb'Tifferes: What is the Chesed in
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            harmony?