[Mesorah] ham'chadesh, ham'vorach, ...

Michael Hamm msh210 at math.wustl.edu
Wed Jun 11 14:20:28 PDT 2008

R' Hayyim wrote, in part:
> Gesenius sees the mem after the article as having a "virtual dagesh",
> and so it acts grammatically as if it had a dagesh (the shewa is na')
> but is not pronounced as a doubled consonant. (He applies this to the
> other exceptins as well and theorizes that in these cases the actual
> pronunciation had lost the doubling and so the Masoretes did not record
> dagesh.).

Is something like that true also when a letter (typically a lamed for some
reason, in m ylimited experience) takes a dagesh at the start of a word?
It's not pronounced doubled, but is (for purposes I cannot fathom)
grammatically a dagesh?

Michael Hamm
AM, Math, Wash. U. St. Louis
msh210 at math.wustl.edu                Fine print: