[Mesorah] Hoshiya Na Hatzlicha Na

Michael Poppers MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Thu Jul 24 09:41:22 PDT 2008

I greatly appreciate RDB's response, as Dr. Klarberg explains (see
http://www.torahsearch.com/page.cfm/1840) why one would expect penultimate
stress for this type of "elongated imperative" word.  {BTW, I think
there's an error in his explanation as quoted there: he says, "In the
Tenach, which Rabbi M. Breuer edited (according to the Masorah of Ben
Asher in Keter Aram Tzova), he indicated that hoshiah and hatzlichah
should both be read with penultimate stress," but the online (at
http://www.aleppocodex.org/newsite/index.html) Keser Aram Tzova manuscript
seems to indicate *ultimate* stress for both words.}

I have a slightly-different Q: if, as seems to be the case, both words are
mil'ra (which per se deserves the "leis" Masoretic note), why is there
nevertheless a dageish in each of the nunin (which one would expect after
a word that ends with a qamatz-heih only when that word is mil'eil)?  Yes,
one could claim that this d'chiq is also part of the "leis" situation, but
still....

> both hoshiya and hatzlicha have the same ta'am
(tzinorit-merkha) <
In my printed T'hilim, tzinoris is indicated with a "tilde" circumflex
(just like the zarqa of the s'farim other than sifrei EMeTH).  The online
Aleppo Codex has what looks like a t'lishah -- actually, more like a P
flipped along its vertical axis -- on those T'hilim 118 words (more
importantly for the discussion started by Josh, it has the same symbol on
both of those words, as per RDB's summary) and on words (like "admas'cha"
in 5-28:51) which are graced with a zarqa.  Anyone familiar with the
history of the ta'amei hamiqra alphabet(s) and when changes like this one
for the tzinoris/zarqa were made?  Thanks.

All the best from
Michael Poppers * Elizabeth, NJ, USA

D&E-H Bannett <dbnet at zahav.net.il>
Sent by: mesorah-bounces at lists.aishdas.org
07/24/2008 11:03 AM

Josh Skolnick <joshskolnickavodah at gmail.com>; mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
cc

Subject
Re: [Mesorah] Hoshiya Na Hatzlicha Na

Re: your question <<difference between the dagesh chazak in
the 'na' of of Hoshia na and the lack of one in hatzlicha
na?>>

I suggest you look in R' Mordekhai Breuer's book on the
Keter, IIRC page 43. He points out that, in all the ancient
manuscripts as well as the Mikraot Gedolot Venetzia 5286,
both hoshiya and hatzlicha have the same ta'am
(tzinorit-merkha) and a dagesh in "na".  Radak and other
medakd'kim and ba'alei mesora mention the unusual, that both
words are milra'.  Because of a misinterpretation of the
Mesora(see Breuer), this was changed by the Minchat Shai to
the way it appears today in most printed Tanakh. Since then
we have the mileil of the hoshiya. Those "in the know" added
the incorrect "diyyuk" of reading (only) the hatzlicha as
milra'. Or is that "diyyuk" the reading of hoshiya as
mileil?

So, to summarize:  According to all the old sources, both
Na's have a dagesh, both words have same ta'am, both words
are milra'.

k"t,

David