[Mesorah] kodashim

Seth Mandel sethm37 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 23 16:54:06 PST 2008

If I have had the z'khut to make R. David feel young again, then I am satisfied with my lot.  Come visit me and maybe we can both feel young.
I was going to write about the name of the vowels, and how in Ashk'nazi tradition they were transformed from the originals into non-Semitic forms whose first vowel was always the sound they represented, yielding non-Hebrew and non-Aramaic forms such as shuruq and qubbutz (S'faradim have shoreq and qibbutz as names).  But since I have awakened the sleeping lion, why should a mere cub such as I try to squeak before the lion has roared?  I will just add the caution that I was going to add to whatever I ended up writing: the history of the names of vocalization signs, letters, and trip is even murkier than other items.  The oldest source I know of is the Masorah itself, which refers to probably about a dozen trop by name, a few consonants, and only two vowels: the pat.ha and the qam.sa (not vocalized).> From: dbnet at zahav.net.il> To: mesorah at aishdas.org> Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 23:48:07 +0200> Subject: Re: [Mesorah] kodashim> > The old-timers on the Mesorah list and those who even > remember the days before Mesorah separated from the Avodah > list will also remember that R' Seth and I almost always > managed to add another two cents worth to the other > postings. I was planning to join this latest round of the > kodashim/kadashim discussion but didn't get around to it. > But, after reading RSM's masterful contribution, I feel > young again so I'll add a bit.> > On a previous round, when I commented that R' Yosef Kimhi > had invented the previously non -existing ten vowels system, > some posters pounced on me for apikorsut. R' Seth, as an > expert linguist, termed it "posited" ten vowels. I'll stick > my neck out again with my non-academic terminology.> > After the Kimhis made ten vowels, rules based on this system > were developed, about what is "correct" Hebrew. Among them > we find a rule of the Sefaradic grammarians that any kamatz > that also has a meteg must be a kamatz gadol.> > There is a logic to this masoret. A meteg is most often a > secondary accent and something accented cannot be chatuf. A > meteg can also be a warning sign: "Careful, you might easily > mispronounce this letter or syllable". Being careful not to > mispronounce or elide something results in saying it more > carefully which also means that it will not be chatuf but > slightly emphasized, what Breuer calls a nachatz.> > This kamatz + meteg is a kamatz gadol rule became a masoret, > a tradition that bal-koires should follow. So, as a > youngster, I was taught to check in an accurate chumash if > there is a meteg on the kamatz that verifies that it is a > kamatz gadol.> > But, when I got older and more knowledgable about chumash > accuracy I discovered that the rule was incorrect. My > favorite proof is the word kol with a kamatz (meaning "all > of") kol am'kha, kol hab'khor, v'khol k'li, etc. In the > Keter and in the accurate manuscripts this word appears 105 > times with a meteg in the kaf in the Tanakh, 13 of them the > chumash. If you can see Hebrew, here are the thirteen:> > 1. שמות כח,לח: וְהָיָה֘ עַל-מֵ֣צַח אַהֲרֹן֒ וְנָשָׂ֨א > אַהֲרֹ֝ן אֶת-עֲוֹ֣ן הַקֳּדָשִׁ֗ים אֲשֶׁ֤ר יַקְדִּ֙ישׁוּ֙ בְּנֵ֣י > יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל לְכָֽל-מַתְּנֹ֖ת קָדְשֵׁיהֶ֑ם> > > 2. שמות לד,י: וַיֹּ֗אמֶר הִנֵּ֣ה אָנֹכִי֘ כֹּרֵ֣ת בְּרִית֒ > נֶ֤גֶד כָּֽל-עַמְּךָ֙ אֶעֱשֶׂ֣ה נִפְלָאֹ֔ת אֲשֶׁ֛ר לֹא-נִבְרְא֥וּ > בְכָל-הָאָ֖רֶץ וּבְכָל-הַגּוֹיִ֑ם> > 3. שמות לד,יט: כָּל-פֶּ֥טֶר רֶ֖חֶם לִ֑י וְכָֽל-מִקְנְךָ֙ > תִּזָּכָ֔ר פֶּ֖טֶר שׁ֥וֹר וָשֶֽׂה׃> > 4. ויקרא טו,ד: כָּל-הַמִּשְׁכָּ֗ב אֲשֶׁ֨ר יִשְׁכַּ֥ב עָלָ֛יו > הַזָּ֖ב יִטְמָ֑א וְכָֽל-הַכְּלִ֛י אֲשֶׁר-יֵשֵׁ֥ב עָלָ֖יו > יִטְמָֽא׃> > > 5. ויקרא טו,כו: כָּל-הַמִּשְׁכָּ֞ב אֲשֶׁר-תִּשְׁכַּ֤ב עָלָיו֙ > כָּל-יְמֵ֣י זוֹבָ֔הּ כְּמִשְׁכַּ֥ב נִדָּתָ֖הּ יִֽהְיֶה-לָּ֑הּ > וְכָֽל-הַכְּלִי֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר תֵּשֵׁ֣ב עָלָ֔יו טָמֵ֣א יִֽהְיֶ֔ה> > 6. ויקרא כד,יד: הוֹצֵ֣א אֶת-הַֽמֲקַלֵּ֗ל אֶל-מִחוּץ֙ > לַֽמַּחֲנֶ֔ה וְסָמְכ֧וּ כָֽל-הַשֹּׁמְעִ֛ים אֶת-יְדֵיהֶ֖ם > עַל-רֹאשׁ֑וֹ וְרָגְמ֥וּ אֹת֖וֹ כָּל-הָעֵדָֽה׃> > 7. במדבר ב,ט: כָּֽל-הַפְּקֻדִ֞ים לְמַחֲנֵ֣ה יְהוּדָ֗ה > מְאַ֨ת אֶ֝לֶף וּשְׁמֹנִ֥ים אֶ֛לֶף וְשֵֽׁשֶׁת-אֲלָפִ֥ים > וְאַרְבַּע-מֵא֖וֹת לְצִבְאֹתָ֑ם רִאשֹׁנָ֖ה יִסָּֽעוּ׃ ס> > 8. במדבר ב,טז: כָּֽל-הַפְּקֻדִ֞ים לְמַחֲנֵ֣ה רְאוּבֵ֗ן > מְאַ֨ת אֶ֝לֶף וְאֶחָ֨ד וַחֲמִשִּׁ֥ים אֶ֛לֶף וְאַרְבַּע-מֵא֥וֹת > וַחֲמִשִּׁ֖ים לְצִבְאֹתָ֑ם וּשְׁנִיִּ֖ם יִסָּֽעוּ׃ ס> > 9. במדבר ב,כד: כָּֽל-הַפְּקֻדִ֞ים לְמַחֲנֵ֣ה אֶפְרַ֗יִם > מְאַ֥ת אֶ֛לֶף וּשְׁמֹֽנַת-אֲלָפִ֥ים וּמֵאָ֖ה לְצִבְאֹתָ֑ם > וּשְׁלִשִׁ֖ים יִסָּֽעוּ׃ ס> > 10. במדבר ד,מו: כָּֽל-הַפְּקֻדִ֡ים אֲשֶׁר֩ פָּקַ֨ד מֹשֶׁ֧ה > וְאַהֲרֹ֛ן וּנְשִׂיאֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל אֶת-הַלְוִיִּ֑ם > לְמִשְׁפְּחֹתָ֖ם וּלְבֵ֥ית אֲבֹתָֽם׃> > > 11. במדבר יט,יג: כָּֽל-הַנֹּגֵ֡עַ בְּמֵ֣ת בְּנֶפֶשׁ֩ הָאָדָ֨ם > אֲשֶׁר-יָמ֝וּת וְלֹ֣א יִתְחַטָּ֗א אֶת-מִשְׁכַּ֤ן ה֙' טִמֵּ֔א > וְנִכְרְתָ֛ה הַנֶּ֥פֶשׁ הַהִ֖וא מִיִּשְׂרָאֵ֑ל> > 12. דברים טו,י: נָת֤וֹן תִּתֵּן֙ ל֔וֹ וְלֹא-יֵרַ֥ע לְבָבְךָ֖ > בְּתִתְּךָ֣ ל֑וֹ כִּ֞י בִּגְלַ֣ל׀ הַדָּבָ֣ר הַזֶּ֗ה יְבָרֶכְךָ֙ ה֣' > אֱלֹהֶ֔יךָ בְּכָֽל-מַעֲשֶׂ֔ךָ וּבְכֹ֖ל מִשְׁלַ֥ח יָדֶֽךָ׃> > > 13. דברים טו,יט: כָּֽל-הַבְּכ֡וֹר אֲשֶׁר֩ יִוָּלֵ֨ד > בִּבְקָרְךָ֤ וּבְצֹֽאנְךָ֙ הַזָּכָ֔ר תַּקְדִּ֖ישׁ לַה֣' אֱלֹהֶ֑יךָ > לֹ֤א תַֽעֲבֹד֙ בִּבְכֹ֣ר שׁוֹרֶ֔ךָ וְלֹ֥א תָגֹ֖ז בְּכ֥וֹר > צֹאנֶֽךָ׃> > Nobody ba'al mesora or grammarian has ever suggested that > these k'matzim are not k'tanim, shortened in s'mikhut from a > cholam.> > Q.E.D.> > One can check the "average"chumashim whether they have these > metagim.> > > > If a meteg does make the kamatz gadol, then a ta'am m'chaber > certainly does.> > Kol 'atzmotai appears five times in Tanakh. One of them > (Tehilim 35:6), has a ta'am. The so-called accurate modern > siddurim mark kol atzmotai tomarna in Nishmat kol chai as > kal atzmotai. Hayhitakhen? In a previous round, I suggested > that, the ta'am that makes the kamatz into gadol is a > copyist's error> > In v'khal bashalish 'afar (Yeshaya 40), the kamatz is gadol > because v'khal means measure or calibrate not "all of".> > I leave it to the list members whether a bal-koireh should > read according to the 800-year old tradition or according to > the new discoveries from the over 1000-year old accurate > manuscripts.> > Thank you Reb Seth for taking time off from kashrut to > enlighten us and for pulling me out of lurker's mode to feel > young again.> > > > David> > > > > > > > > > _______________________________________________> Mesorah mailing list> Mesorah at lists.aishdas.org> http://lists.aishdas.org/listinfo.cgi/mesorah-aishdas.org