[Mesorah] Shalsheleth

Sholom Simon sholom at aishdas.org
Tue Dec 2 17:16:21 PST 2008

At 06:06 PM 12/2/2008, Joshua Meisner wrote:
>2008/12/1 Noah Witty <<mailto:nwitty at optonline.net>nwitty at optonline.net>
>>
>>replaces the segol
>What's your source? Also, how would one know that the it is a segol
>that the shalsheles is replacing? I think shalsheles is followed
>each time by a pesik (vertical line), which is not the case with a segol.
>

>I don't know what sort of primary source would have this
>information, but I've seen this idea mentioned in a number of
>secondary sources.  The line following the shalsheles may not be a
>p'sik (I've also been told such about the line following a munach
>l'garmeih); the presence of a p'sik, at any rate, is often
>(usually?) to separate between words that could be read in a
>heretical manner (e.g., Ya'eir HaShem / panav eilecha opposes the
>potential reading of that places the Sheim as an object with an
>implied subject, rather than as the Subject), and is then unrelated
>to the grammatical structure of the passuk.

FWIW, I have a vague recollection of R Seth Mandel mentioning that
one of the Tosafists, perhaps it was Rabbeinu Tam?, wrote about the
rules of trope, which are mechanical/algorithmic, as described in
this thread.  (And I also specifically remember RSM mentioning that
there's a "rule" that a segol can not be the first mark of a pasuk,
and the four times it's needed in the first word, it's replaced by a
shalsheles).

So, no sources, other than RSM, who is aware of the sources,

-- Sholom