[Mesorah] At/Atah

Benjamin M. Kandel bkandel at yu.edu
Tue Aug 26 13:51:08 PDT 2008

Oh my.  I didn't realize that a discussion of pronouns could become so
contentious.  I will try to do my best to explain what little I know of
the issue(s) being discussed in the hope that some things can be cleared
up.

First of all, Proto-Semitic is a (re?)construction of a proposed
forerunner of all Semitic languages.  It has never been heard (obviously)
or even seen in an inscription.  Where does it come from?  As an example,
I'll explain what I meant by mentioning the proposed Proto-Semitic word
*'anti.  First, we start from Tanakh.  Most of the time, the second person
feminine pronoun is "at".  There are several lines of evidence that
suggest that this is not the only form of the pronoun:  The dagesh in the
tav implies that there is an assimilated letter (probably a nun); the word
appears in Aramaic (in Tanakh, and very occasionally in Bavli) as "ant",
with a nun.  In addition, the word appears (in k'rei) seven times as
"atti" - probably not chance.  Furthermore, there are some odd verb forms
that can be explained best by assuming a "-ti" ending to the pronoun:
Some Hebrew past tense verbs are created by adding the pronoun to the
verb.  (Example:  katav+attah=katavta (which appears many many times in
the form katavtah, with a heh at the end, just like the pronoun).)  In a
few places in Tanakh, something that looks like a second-person feminine
ending has a "-ti" ending (e.g., Shoftim 5:10), implying that the
second-person feminine pronoun also sometimes has a "ti" ending.
Looking at other languages, linguists notice that in Arabic, it also
appears as a variant of "ant", with a nun; and Syriac (a dialect of
Aramaic) it appears with both a nun and a yodh.
What happened?
Well, no one really knows.  Since it's more natural for letters to become
assimilated and fall out, as opposed to become created where there was
none, linguists assume that the "original" form of the word did have a
nun, that in Hebrew was later assimilated to the tav and left us with the
dagesh in the tav.  Is that right?  Could be.   It's also possible that
during the time of Migdal Bavel, "attah" was actually pronounced with some
sort of faint nun in it that later was actually written by other Semitic
languages descended from Hebrew after Migdal Bavel.  We don't have too
much evidence, I don't think.

In any case, to say that Proto-Semitic actually existed, I think you're
forced to say that there was a long history of a precursor to Hebrew well
before Tanakh was written down; it's really not a question of what
language Adam ha-Rishon spoke.

Just in terms of shitos rishonim on Hebrew - there's a famous machloket
Rambam-Ramban about why Hebrew is Leshon ha-Kodesh, with Ramban
emphasizing that Hebrew was the language of creation (implying that it was
indeed first) in Ramban's peirush on Shmot 30:13; ibn Ezra (Breishit 11:1)
and Kuzari (2:68) both hold that Hebrew was the first and only language
before Migdal Bavel, but R. Yosef Bekhor Shor (Breishit ibid.) argues and
says that everyone knew all seventy languages.

Kol tuv

Ben Kandel