[Mesorah] Nikud on YKVK

Michael Poppers MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Mon Aug 25 10:07:45 PDT 2008

RMH wrote:
> To put it differently, and forgive me if I'm putting words in your
mouth,
R'AM, the k'ri is YKVK and has no n'kudos; the k'siv is adnus and has a
chataf-patach.  So a sh'va never comes into the picture at all. <
Forgive me for throwing my belated tuppence into the discussion, but I
always thought the yud had a sh'va because that was the way the
Tetragrammaton (the "sheim ham'forash" of our Yamim Noraim davening) was
pronounced.  Now please ignore what I just wrote, as RDB's educated
explanation is, as always, the iqqar.

> A tangentially related question that someone brought to my attention
recently:  The Minchas Shay on "hal-Hashem" (in Haazinu) seems to me to be

citing two opinions: one, that it's pronounced with a sh'va nach under the

lamed and a chataf patach under the aleph (how most baale k'ria pronounce
it, I think), and, two, that it's pronounced with a sh'va nach under the
lamed and a sh'va na (!) under the aleph.  Am I reading that opinion
wrong?  Has anyone heard anyone actually read it that way? <
What RMH calls two opinions sound like the same one opinion, i.e. the
first syllable is "hal" (as RMH writes, "with a sh'va nach under the lamed
") and the remainder of the word is pronounced as sheim adnus, "adoNOY"
(as RMH writes, "a chataf patach under the aleph"/"a sh'va na (!) under
the aleph").  IIRC, the opinion quoted by MSh b'sheim RaMaH (perhaps an
ancestor of RMH :)) is saying that the first letter (which is written in a
seifer Torah "by itself") is read as if it was a word unto itself and that
the remainder of the word in 5-32:6 is read as one would normally read it
if it was a word unto itself, i.e. "ladoNOY," with a patach under the
lamed and the aleph not pronounced, and FWIW, this opinion of Heidenheim
is followed by minhag Frankfurt, as heard by the undersigned in
KAJ/"Breuer's."

All the best from
Michael Poppers * Elizabeth, NJ, USA