[Mesorah] Meaning of m'tim

D&E-H Bannett dbnet at zahav.net.il
Tue Aug 12 03:12:27 PDT 2008

As Rashi said, the word means people.  It is obviously
connected to m'tei mispar, i.e.,  a number of people,
meaning a small number.   Similarly, m'tei m'at.

One that always interested me is in Iyov, m'tei sodi or
sodo. It means, people who are in on the secret. What
interested me is that the word sod also means a closed group
of people. B'sodam al tavo nafshi, bik'halam al teichat
kvodi. The parallel, sodam = k'halam.  See also, sod
m'sachakim on Yirmeyahu 15 and Radak and others there.

The man sitting next to me in shul asked me the same
question last Shabbat and, afterwards, I checked in Even
Shashan who informed me that mt with various vowels means
man in a few Semitic languages and also in Egyptian. No
mention of connection with death.

David