[Mesorah] two points about n'kudos

Michael Hamm msh210 at math.wustl.edu
Wed Apr 30 08:42:08 PDT 2008

Just two points (pun intended) about n'kudos: a question and a "found in
the wild".

Question:  Is the sh'va in "layla" na or nach?  (My question is about the
word whether it has a patach or a kamatz under the first lamed.)  More
generally, does the rule that a meseg makes the following sh'va into a
sh'va na (exist and) apply to a primary-stress marker (trop mark) also?

Heard:  Over Pesach, I heard a baal k'ria emphasize many of the d'geshim
(?) chazakim he read -- though, for some reason, not all of them.  That in
itself is not unusual; what is unusual is that he palatized any lamed
(and, to a lesser extent, any nun) that had a dagesh.

Kol tuv,

Michael Hamm
AM, Math, Wash. U. St. Louis
msh210 at math.wustl.edu                Fine print: