[Mesorah] cholov shechalovoi goy

Ira L. Jacobson laser at ieee.org
Mon Sep 17 00:15:48 PDT 2007

At 23:53 16-09-07 -0400, Richard Wolpoe stated the following:

>I concur with Micha's point. Baruch Shkivanti becasue i have been
>advocating this peshat in Tallis Katan for years, i.e. a Tallis OF a Katan.
>
>However, an Israelit friend of mine pointed out that "Tallis"  may
>indeed be masculine.   His Proof?  The plural is  Talisos  [Talitot]
>and NOT Taliyot  which would correspond to  Ta'anis and
>Taa'niyos.  Therefore, his claim is  that this  is indeed a
>masculine term ending in Sof [to] jsut like "Bayis".

his subject has been brought up in the past, and rather well covered IIRC.

However, you seem to raise a new point   Perhaps your friend didn't
think out all the implications, since the plural of bayit is batim
(which in itself is irregular).  The plural of the regular zayit is
zeitim.  If the plural of talit were telatim (or teleitim or
something similar---Yiddish of course has taleisim, but that is
another matter), your Israelit friend's comment would be more relevant.

But perhaps more to the point, bayit and zayit are mil`eil, while
talit is milra, so that any comparison becomes even less relevant IMHO.

IRA L. JACOBSON
mailto:laser at ieee.org