[Mesorah] FW: cholov shechalovoi goy

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun Sep 16 11:35:26 PDT 2007

> Indeed some Yiddish
> terms are used in every day Ivrit.  By the way I believe this is also the
> reason we say Tallis Koton and not Tallis Ketanna.

Not a good example.  Talles is not really feminine, since it's a fairly
recently borrowing from Greek.  The vowel under the lamed is not a chirik
but a tzereh; Ben Yehuda changed it to a chirik, and thus made it appear
like a regular feminine Hebrew noun, but this was his own invention, and
it's no surprise that people who'd been saying "talles koton" for centuries
before him would not change their usage to accommodate his whim.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.