[Mesorah] FW: cholov shechalovoi goy

SBA areivim at sba2.com
Sun Sep 16 11:26:20 PDT 2007

  _____

From: SBA [mailto:sba at sba2.com]
Sent: Sunday, 16 September 2007 7:17 PM
To: mesorah at aishdas.org
Cc: 'meshullam klarberg'
Subject: FW: cholov shechalovoi goy

  _____

From: meshullam klarberg [mailto:fredit at bezeqint.net]
Sent: Wednesday, 12 September 2007 1:05 AM
To: SBA
Subject: cholov shechalovoi goy

Dear SBA

I have done a seach of the Bar Ilan database, and it seems that the earliest
use of the term Cholov Yisroel is in the Ramo Y"D 81:7. It is also used by
Sh.A. Harav, Chelkas Yaakov, Sridei Eish, Igros Moshe, Vayaan Yosef (but not
by Rav Ovadia Yosef), Divrei Yetziv, and Mishne Halachos - all Yiddish
speakers!  I therefore suspect that it is a Yiddish term borrowed by these
rabbanim.  This is quite common in rabbinic writing.  Indeed some Yiddish
terms are used in every day Ivrit.  By the way I believe this is also the
reason we say Tallis Koton and not Tallis Ketanna.

Wishinjg you a K'siva Vachasima tova

veshaloim al Yisrael

Meshullam