[Mesorah] Yad Vashem, not Yad Veshem

Michael Poppers MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Wed Oct 10 13:05:44 PDT 2007

Thank you, REMT.  In all respects, I'm glad I suggested that RnTK note on
Mesorah what I had privately written to her.  One minor comment:

> (If I had said it, I would have said "as if there _were_," not "as if
there _was_.") <
I wrote the sentence assuming an understood phrase akin to "for the 2nd
member of the given pair" [before the word "even"].  Forgive my improper
imprecision :-).

All the best from
Michael Poppers * Elizabeth, NJ, USA

"Elazar M. Teitz" <remt at juno.com>
Sent by: mesorah-bounces at lists.aishdas.org
10/10/2007 03:54 PM

mesorah at aishdas.org
cc

Subject
Re: [Mesorah] Yad Vashem, not Yad Veshem

     In answer to the question as to why there is a kamatz under the vav
hachibur in "yad vashem," I was quoted as having explained that

>>Pairs of items are specified in TaNaCH as if there was a heih hay'diah
even when the conversational English translation uses an improper article,
e.g. B'reishis 8:22.<<

     I don't recall having said so in this context, but in any event the
explanation is much simpler: when the syllable following the vav hachibur
is accented (or the word following the vav is monosyllabic, and hence
automatically accented) the sh'va changes into a kamatz.  Thus, in the
pasuk cited, we have zera v'kaTZIR, but kor vaCHOM, kayitz vaCHOref, yom
vaLAIla.  It's why the neighborhood of Yerushalayim is Bayit VAgan, and
why the kohein gadol counted achas V'achas, achas V'shalosh, achas V'arba,
but achas VAshesh and achas VAsheva.

    (If I had said it, I would have said "as if there _were_," not "as if
there _was_.")

EMT