[Mesorah] "Vayigva Yitzchok vayomos vayeosef el amov"

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Mon Nov 26 09:26:30 PST 2007

In a message dated 11/26/2007 6:44:21 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
kennethgmiller at juno.com writes:

If have  no sources, but "vayeosef el amov" always sounded to me like it
refers to  something *after* death, perhaps relating to the funeral and/or burial.
The  first two, I dunno...

Akiva Miller

-- "SBA"  <areivim at sba2.com> wrote:
Parshas Vayishlach - 35:29 "Vayigva  Yitzchok vayomos vayeosef el amov"
(Similarly in Chayei Sarah (25:8) "Vayigva  vayomos Avrohom beseiva tova...vayeosef
el amov".What actually do these 3  separate words for death indicate?
SBA

"vayeosef el amov"  always sounded to me like a hint to olam haba --  he was
reunited with his relatives who had predeceased him

"vayigva vayomos" sounds like a certain method of death, something like,  "He
drew his last breath and he expired"  -- we know that vayigva is only  used
for tzaddikim so implies a painless easy death

--Toby
--Toby  Katz