[Mesorah] trop changing meaning - polytheism

Michael Hamm msh210 at math.wustl.edu
Sun May 13 18:47:24 PDT 2007

R' Dov Bloom wrote, in part (quoting me at the outset):
> > "l'haalos, ner tamid", "to raise a  constant flame", instead of
> > "l'haalos ner, tamid", "to raise a flame constantly", and thus,
> > I think, changing the meaning of the words. <snip>
>
> I agree this is changing the meaning and should be corrected

I mentioned this error this past Shabas to the baal k'ria in question and
he maintained that, no, we never go back for changes in trop except
esnachta and sof-pasuk, even if it appears to change the meaning (as
here).

Michael Hamm
AM, Math, Wash. U. St. Louis
msh210 at math.wustl.edu                Fine print: