[Mesorah] trop changing meaning - polytheism

Dov Bloom dovb at netvision.net.il
Mon May 7 16:04:57 PDT 2007

"l'haalos, ner tamid", "to raise a  constant flame", instead of "l'haalos ner, tamid", "to raise a flame
constantly", and thus, I think, changing the meaning of the words.  No one
corrected him: I, for one, didn't know whether he had to go back, and
figured I wouldn't be listened to if I tried to correct him!

I agree this is changing the meaning and should be corrected so the baal koreh can read it again.
Dov (DB the younger)

However , a more difficult case is Sh'mot 3 15 " Vayomer Od Eloh-im el-Moshe"....

The teamin are :
Vayomer-Tlisha Ketana           Od -  Azla         Eloh-im - Geresh      el-Moshe  -  Revii

The end of this phrase is on the revii - a "mishneh" or secondary pause.
Eloh-im , the geresh is a "shalish" or tertiery [ weaker than a mishneh] pause.

Now, when a Tlisha Ktana preceeds an Azla-Geresh , the minor pause before the geresh ( which turns out to be a quaternary or an even weaker pause) can be either  be on the tlisha Ketana or on the Azla.

We are used to connecting the azla-geresh (also known as kadma ve azla) , but here the minor pause should be on the word Od
{reading a} [VaYomer Od  |  Elohim || el-Moshe]    and not
{reading b} [VaYomer | Od   Elohim || el-Moshe]

The incorrect but common reading b is not only wrong but "cheruf ve-giduf" because it means "Another God told Moshe"