[Mesorah] Dagesh in final Kof

MPoppers at kayescholer.com MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Mon Jun 11 09:29:32 PDT 2007

> Is this also the case in Hallel?
"Keli atah v'odeka, Elokai arom'meka" <
Yes, it's definitely the case for "Keili" :-).  Good Q, Sholom, and I'll
also note the "odekka" in T'hilim 30, which most of us say more often than
we say Hallel.  In an attempt to answer your Q, I'll ask another Q: why,
only a few verses, earlier, do we say "od'cha" -- it seems to be the same
word, yet there's no dageish.  My first thought is that the pronunciation
of "od'cha" in a position at the end of a phrase changes both in terms of
vowelization and accent (there are many examples of this phenomenon, e.g.
"vaYOmer"=>"vayoMAR"); not sure why the result was "oDEkka" rather than
"oDEcha," especially considering that we have examples where "cha" didn't
become "kka" (e.g. two chapters earlier, "amaSEcha"), so perhaps someone
else can chip in there.  I would suggest that once the word was changed to
"odekka," "arom'mekka" similarly has a kaf in order to match the sound
(there are other examples of this phenomenon, too, but they aren't on the
tips of my typing fingers).  Thanks!

All the best from
Michael Poppers * Elizabeth, NJ, USA