[Mesorah] David melech Yisrael

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sat Jul 7 21:30:44 PDT 2007

On 5/7/07, Michael Hamm asked this question, which I don't remember if
anyone answered:

>>Does anyone know the origin of the sentence "David melech  Yisrael chay
v'kayam" (which appears in kidush l'vana (birchas  hal'vana) and in the
z'miros for motzae  Shabas)?<<

Thanks,

Michael Hamm
AM, Math, Wash. U.  St. Louis
msh210 at math.wustl.edu           Fine print:
http://www.math.wustl.edu/~msh210/ ...  legal.html

I asked my neighbor, R' Yakov Homnick, if he knew the answer, and here is
his reply:

     =====

The origin is the Gemara in Rosh Hashana 25a.  Rabbi Judah the Prince  sent
Rabbi Chiya somewhere to preside over announcing the New Moon and he
designated the above phrase as the password, or code, to accompany a return  message
confirming he had fulfilled the task.

     =====

I hope that helps.  Sorry for the long-delayed  response.

--Toby  Katz