[Mesorah] Vesamti Kadkhod

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sun Aug 12 12:58:02 PDT 2007

In a message dated 8/12/2007 3:49:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ddcohen at gmail.com writes:

In  yesterday's haftarah, we read, "vesamti kadkhod shimshosayikh"
(Yesha`yahu  54:12).

I would have expected the first kaf to be soft, since the  te`amim group it
together with the previous word, "vesamti," which ends  with a vowel.  Yet
instead, it has a dageish.

I would have  expected the second kaf to have a dageish kal, since it comes
after a sheva  nach.  Yet instead, the dagesh is missing, and it is a  soft
khaf.  (FWIW, the one other place where this word appears in  Tanakh,
Yechezkeil 27:16, the dageish is there as expected.)

Does  anybody have an explanation for why it says "vesamti kadkhod" instead
of  "vesamti khadkod"?

As an aside, when I opened up my Mikra'os Gedolos (a  reprint of one of the
classic editions) to see if perhaps the Radak says  anything on the matter
(he doesn't), I found that the text printed there  was exactly as I would
have expected it, on both counts --  khadkod!

--D.C.

.

So could it be that in some print editions there is just a mistake?

--Toby  Katz