[Mesorah] Tir'eh beTov

Michael Hamm msh210 at math.wustl.edu
Mon Oct 23 09:35:40 PDT 2006

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Micha Berger wrote, in part:
> Can anyone critique the greeting before my signature? <snip>
>
> I thought it's "Ur'ei betuv Yerushalayim" converted:
> 1- By being made lashon asid instead of tzivui; and
> 2- tuv Y-m is a semichut limiting the goodness to that of YIhQ, whereas
> this is "tov" in general. <snip>
>
> Tir'u beTov!

By your logic, I ould think it should be "Tir'u batov".  "Tuv Y-m" means
"the good...".

But I see someone else has answered, probably with more insight than I can
muster.

A g'zunte vinter,

Michael Hamm, who will ignore critiques of his Yiddish grammar,
              as he does not claim to know any Yiddish
AM, Math, Wash. U. St. Louis
msh210 at math.wustl.edu                Fine print:
http://www.math.wustl.edu/~msh210/ ... legal.html